Behold: The 10 Commandments Of Good Sleep.
1. Bestow upon thyself 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep each night
That is the good-sleep sweet spot for optimal energy, health and longevity.
2. Honor thy bedtime and thy alarm
A consistent sleep schedule is key. Staying up late or hitting snooze eight times throws your body off its rhythm.
3. Lower thine lights an hour before going to sleep
The bulbs in your house emit blue-spectrum light (like sunlight), which suppresses production of melatonin, a crucial hormone for conking out.
4. Thou shalt not text, email, watch videos or check social media in bed
Your devices shoot blue light at you, too.
5. Thou shall seek natural light in the mornings
Sunlight signals your body that the day has begun. It cuts off the hormones that make you groggy and stimulate the ones that perk you up.
6. Thou shalt not drink caffeine after 2 P.M.
Caffeine last about 8 hours in your system, so even an afternoon cuppa can disrupt your sleep.
7. Thou shalt not sleep in on the weekends
This confuses your body as much as jet lag does, and will make it harder to fall asleep later.
8. Thou shall exercise regularly
People who get daily aerobic activity sleep better and more deeply.
9. If thou shall imbibe liquor, have a glass or two, no less than an hour before bed
It might make you pass out fast, but alcohol seriously hurts the quality of your sleep. Each drink takes about an hour to break down.
10. Keep thy room dark, quiet and cool
Make the bedroom a sanctuary for sleep. Use a sleep mask and earplugs if you need them, and set the thermostat to around 70 degrees F.